Hermanus and surrounding areas offer so many things to do that it caters for every taste, age and fancy. Management at Milkwood Lodge will gladly assist you with more information and/or reservations for your choice of the multitude of activities available on our doorstep.
Things to do at Milkwood
- Braai (BBQ) area for guests
- Swimming Pool
- Close to beaches
- Relaxing in the garden.
Activities in and around Hermanus
- Golf The 27 hole Hermanus Golf Club is situated 5 minutes (3.2km) from Milkwood and the renowned Arabella course is a short 30 min. (30km)
- Milkwood Lodge can book tee-off times at Hermanus Golf Club and the Arabella Golf Estate 7 days in advance. Please indicate whether you would like us to book and which day/time you would like to play.
- Read more about golf in South Africa
- Wine tasting tours
- Cycling Hermanus – Touring & Trails
- Bird watching
- Tree-hopping with zip-lines
- Sea Kayaking
- Deep-sea fishing
- Shark cage Diving
- Whale Watching
- Boating is popular on the Klein River Lagoon. Annual events: Perlemoen Extravaganza – June/July.
- Wine Tasting – The Hemel & Aarde Valey boasts with a large quantity of award winning South African wine producers. To mention but a few, at Creation Wines you can experience a wine and food pairing, Hamilton Russel Vineyard and Bouchard Finlayson have wine tasting sales facilities. Read more about our local South African Wines.
- Day walks are enjoyed at Fernkloof Nature Reserve; overnight huts are available. The reserve supports some 1 000 plant species (44 endemic to the area) and more than 100 bird species.
- Shopping – Hermanus is a fashionable, affluent town with historic buildings, craft markets and excellent restaurants.
- Ideally positioned to explore all the great attractions of the Overberg and the numerous eco-adventure activities in the area (Great White shark viewing and diving nearby).
- Day trips – Drive to Cape Agulhas the most Southern tip of Africa and en-route visit the shipwreck museum in Bredasdorp. Or enjoy Great White Shark cage diving and viewing at Gansbaai.
- After a day of visiting Stellenbosch and Franschoek take a stroll on the cliffpath in Hermanus and watch the sunset.
- ECO Tourism – 4 x 4 Trails
- Fly tours by
The only enviro-arts festival we are aware of takes place every spring to welcome the returning Whales to Hermanus
The Whales & Wheels Show at the Whale Festival is highly popular with classical car enthusiasts.
Fernkloof Wildflower Festival
The Hermanus Botanical Society’s Flower Festival organises for hundreds of local flower specimens to be displayed and named. Indigenous flower bunches and plants are for sale. There is a marquee where local interest groups, craft and food makers and merchants show off their goods and small show-gardens light up the amphitheatre lawns.
Every year in August, the Wine region of Hermanus and Walker Bay celebrates our many diverse Wines, Wineries and Wine Makers by staging the annual Hermanus Wine and Food Festival. This event is a popular show-case for local producers from Elgin to Elim, with over 250 wines from over 80 wine estates on offer.
The Hermanus Wine and Food Festival is always voted / nominated as being 1 of the top 10 Best Wine Shows in South Africa. Each year the event grows bigger and better and attracts at least 5,000 people throughout the weekend.
The Walkerbay Xtreme festival celebrates energy, fitness and endurance. In the evenings competitors and spectators enjoy some of our finest and most popular local music performances.
Fijn Arts Festival
Every winter we celebrate many forms of musical-, performing- and fine arts.
MORE THINGS TO DO
Management at Milkwood Lodge will gladly assist you with more information and/or reservations for your choice of the multitude of activities available on our doorstep.
Beach visits & picnics
Climbing – Traditional
Fishing – Deep Sea
Fishing – Fly
Fishing – Saltwater
Health & Fitness
Hiking / Backpacking
Paddling – Canoeing
Paddling – Lagoon Kayaking
Paddling – Sea Kayaking
Sailing – Yacht Charters
Shark Cage Diving
Please also consult www.capenature.co.za for more things to do and see.